Solera Home Improvements provides you with electrical wiring services in the general vicinity of Campbell, CA
Electrical Wiring – Campbell – Extending a Circuit
The first article in this series on electrical wiring acts as the table of contents for the series.
Sometimes you want a ceiling light fixture in a room that doesn’t have one but is next to a room that does.
This is within the capability of most homeowners, but there are a few things you must know.
- When you are installing a light fixture, you are also installing a switch, so you will need to run wires down a wall as well as across the attic.
- For any lighting circuit, the un-switched or permanent power may be in the switch junction box, but may be in the light fixture junction box – you must test to know for sure.
Please read how to do this test and how switched circuits work.
The steps are:
- Determine a source of un-switched power (always on).
- Run Romex from there to the new light fixture box.
- Run a switch leg from the new light fixture box to the new switch box.
- Wire up as per a switched circuit.
If you desire professional help with your electrical wiring projects and you live in or near Campbell, CA, we would appreciate an opportunity to be of service.