Solera Home Improvements provides you with electrical wiring services in the general vicinity of Los Gatos, CA
Electrical Wiring – Los Gatos – Adding an Outlet
The first article in this series on electrical wiring acts as the table of contents for the series.
Adding an outlet to an existing circuit is withing the capabilities of most homeowners.
The hardest part is running the wire.
- Us e the same gauge wire for the circuit extension as is used on the original part of the circuit, for outlets this is probably 20A.
- Use an outlet that is rated for 20A (some are rated for 15A).
- A remodeling junction box (with the plastic wings) allows you to install a junction box by removing just enough sheetrock to stick the box into it – this reduces patching.
- The hot wire (black) always connects to the brass lugs on the outlet, which in turn are connected to the shorter slot.
- The neutral wire (white) always connects to the silver lug on the out, which in turn are connected to the longer slot.
- The ground wire (green) connects to the grounding screw, and if the junction box is metal, to the junction box as well.
By following these simple guidelines, you can install a new outlet, but if you wish the help of a professional and you live in or near Los Gatos, CA, we would appreciate an opportunity to be of service.
Just contact us for your no obligation consultation.