Solera Home Improvements provides you with electrical wiring services in the greater metro area of San Jose, CA
Electrical Wiring – San Jose – Basic Concepts
First, here is a link back to the table of contents (sort of) for this article series on electrical wiring.
There are a few very very important basic concepts to realize before doing ANY electrical work on your home.
- There is NEVER any reason to EVER work on a live circuit – it can be dangerous. It can in fact kill you.
- In every junction box, there is generally only one hot wire bringing power into the junction box.
- The other hot wires take power from that box to other boxes.
- Sometimes there are two separate circuits in junction box, in which case there will be two hot wires bringing power in.
- If you ever do need to test to find the hot wire in a junction box:
- Separate all the wires first so that none of them touch any of the others.
- Apply power to the circuit.
- Use a volt stick to find the hot lead (you can buy them at any hardware store; OSH, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc)
- If the volt stick indicates more than one wire, use a multi meter (also available at OSH, Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc)
- Go slow, be careful, and take very good notes of what you see and what you do.
Bearing in mind these basic concepts, and reading the other articles in this series on electrical wiring, you should be able to perform simple electrical tasks and projects in your home.
However, if you do wish professional assistance, we would appreciate an opportunity to be of service…
Although our electrical work is first rate, we also excel at full bathroom remodels. Please consider us for your next remodel project.