Solera Home Improvements provides you with electrical wiring services in the San Jose, CA greater metro area
Electrical Wiring – San Jose – How is Romex color coded?
The first article in this series on electrical wiring acts as the table of contents for the series.
All romex is built the same, and the colors used for both the individual wires and the outer jacket have meanings.
First, the individual conductors within the romex have color coded PVC insulation.
- Black – the hot
- White – the neutral or return
- Bare – the ground
- Red – a second hot for three way switch circuits
Next, the romex PVC jacket color is also meaningful.
- Orange – contains 10 gauge wires (dedicated circuits for electric dryers, ovens, etc)
- Yellow – contains 12 gauge wires (for outlet circuits)
- White – contains 14 gauge wires (for lighting circuits
When you need help fixing or extending the electrical wiring in your home, we would appreciate an opportunity to be of service.
Not only are we great at electrical work, we excel at bathroom remodeling. Please consider us for your next remodeling project.