Solera Home Improvements provides you with electrical wiring services in San Jose, CA greater metro area
Electrical Wiring – San Jose – What is a splice?
The first article in this series on electrical wiring acts as the table of contents for the series.
A splice is merely where two or more individual conductors (wires) are joined together.
When splicing wires, there is a right way to do it:
- All the wires in the splice must have the same amount of insulation removed, which must be enough to make a good splice but not not so much that bare copper sticks out the bottom of the cap.
- Hold the wires being spliced tightly together – you may find good pliers makes this easier.
- The cap is called a “wire nut” and you screw onto the ends of the wires.
- Hand tighten until it won’t tighten more.
- Check to ensure no bare copper is showing at the bottom of the wire nuts.
- Place the wire nuts into the junction box – you may need to bend the wire to accomplish this neatly.
If you desire professional help with your electrical wiring needs, we would love an opportunity to be of service.