Solera Home Improvements provides you with electrical wiring services in the general vicinity of Santa Clara, CA
Electrical Wiring – Santa Clara – What is a breaker?
The lead article for this series on electrical wiring contains a table of contents to every article in the series.
A circuit breaker is the device that clips or otherwise attaches to a hot bus in a distribution panel, that provides overload protection for the circuit.
The most important things to know about circuit breakers are:
- Make of the breaker must match the make of the panel it will be installed in.
- A Square-D panel will only accommidate Square-D breakers.
- The rating of the breaker (15 amp, 20 amp, etc) MUST coincide with the gauge of the wire that connects to the breaker.
- Breakers come in two “thicknesses”, standard, and mini.
- Mini breakers allow you to add a circuit even if your panel is full (provided it’s not full of mini breakers) as you can remove one standard breaker and install two mini’s.
- When outlets or lights in your home lose power, the first thing to check is if the breaker tripped.
- Some breakers, when they trip, do not look tripped and the level moves very little.
- If you think you have a tripped breaker and none look out of place, wiggle them a little as a tripped breaker as more wiggle.
If you need assistance with electrical work in your home, we would love an opportunity to be of service.
Please contact us for a no obligation consultation.