A great room is when you combine a kitchen and a family room into one large room.
In a way great rooms are returning full circle to where we started centuries ago where the kitchen was the center of the home by virtue of being the sole source of heat in the home.
This modern twist is not driven by everyone coming to the one warm room, but rather because kitchens have always been the central room of the house, through all ages.
The Solera Group provides expert kitchen remodeling services in the greater San Jose metro area
The Great Room
If you entertain a lot great rooms make sense as it allows the host and hostess to easily mingle with the guests. It also makes it easier for guests to participate in food prep for those of you whose guests are so inclined.
The advantages of a great room layout are numerous:
- Social interaction occurs more naturally
- Cooking more naturally becomes a family affair
- It’s easier to supervise the kids (as well as help with their homework while you’re making dinner)
- Designed well they bring more natural light into your living space
- Your kitchen has a couch in it
I can only think of two strong disadvantages:
- For privacy you need to retire to your bedroom there is no den.
- If you love art, you’ve given up wall space on which to hang it.
I firmly feel the advantages strongly outweight the disadvantages. If you’re doing a full kitchen remodel already, you may be surprised how little the incremental cost of converting to a great room may be.
Need help with your kitchen remodel? Please contact us…..