Solera Home Improvement is the home improvement service that can help you when you live or near Cupertino, CA
Handyman Tips – Cupertino – Replacing the Fill Valve on Your Toilet
The chart on the right shows the parts from a Flush Master toilet rebuild kit, but the basic concepts are the same for every brand. Every toilet has a fill valve, and a flush valve. Everything else is mere details.
The fill valve mechanism is where the water enters the toilet tank. On some there is a float that goes up and down the valve body, on others a separate ball float is attached via a metal arm, but they work the same way… the water rises, the float rises, the valve closes.
Changing this with a new one can be done without separating the tank from the bowl.
You will need:
- Small crescent wrench
- Channel locks
- A razor knife
- It would be nice to have a wet/dry vacuum
- A container to place under the fill valve on the floor (some water will leak during the procedure).
Here is the procedure:
- Shut off the water.
- Flush the toilet to empty the tank of water.
- If you have a wet dry vacuum, vacuum out the remaining water.
- Place a container to catch water below the tank (as flushing will not remove all the water).
- Disconnect the supply line from BOTH the the wall valve and the bottom of the tank.
- You will be replacing the supply line, not because it’s broken per se, but because it has built in rubber washers that compress as you tighten it, and the old supply now has compressed washers which might later leak.
- Since the cost of a new supply line is nothing compared to the cost and hassle of water on your floor, just replace the supply line.
- The fill valve valve is held onto the tank by a plastic nut on the bottom of the tank.
- As you loosen that plastic nut, the remaining water in the tank will leak out.
- Catch it in the container.
- Once the nut is fully off, this mechanism lifts up and out of the tank.
- Take both this valve mechanism and the supply line to the hardware store, get replacements, go home, and reverse the procedure.
If you would like assistance with repairing your toilet, we would love an opportunity to be of service.
Please call for your no obligation consultation.
We are not only great at toilet repair, we are great at full bathroom remodeling. Please consider us for your next remodeling project.