Solera Home Improvement is the home improvement service that can help you when you live or near Palo Alto, CA
Home Improvements – Palo Alto – Water Conservation – Effects of Habits
Many water conservation techniques for your home are achieved by you and your family changing your water use habits.
As water becomes scarcer, these measures start to make more and more sense.
There are also some handyman projects you can do to further reduce you water usage and water bill.
- Locate the master water shut off valve for your home, and mark it for quick identification.
- If a water pipe were to burst, it could cause flooding and property damage, not to mention immense water waste, if the valve were to stay open.
- Avoid using the toilet as a trash can for facial tissues, etc.
- Adjust your toilet float or put a brick in the toilet tank to use less water per flush.
- Take shorter showers and turn off the shower while soaping.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Run dish washers and clothes washing machines only when full and use the proper water level or load size selection on the washing machine.
- Refrigerate a bottle of drinking water instead of letting a faucet flow until the water is cold enough to drink.
- Use a dish pan or plug the sink when rinsing fruits and vegetables. This water can then be used to water plants.
- Add your garbage to the trash instead of putting it down the garbage disposal.
- Disposals use a great deal of water and add unnecessary solids to the sewer or septic system.
- This also may be a good time to start composting.
- Only water lawn and garden early in the morning.
- Do not water lawn and garden on windy days.
- Wash cars with a pail of soapy water and use a hose with a trigger nozzle to rinse.
- Wash cars on the grass, this will water the lawn at the same time.
- Cover an outdoor pool when not in use.
- Clean the pool filter regularly.
- Do not discharge pool water to streams or storm sewers.
- Spread filter backwash and pool water on grassy areas.
- Use a broom to sweep driveways and sidewalks rather than washing them down with a hose.