Solera Home Improvement provides home remodeling services in the city of Santa Clara, CA and surrounding cities
Home Remodeling – Santa Clara – Checking a Contractors Licensing
At an absolute minimum, your contractor should be properly licensed for the type of work you are having done.
You can verify your contractors licensing at the website of the Contractors State License Board.
Here is the link to the CSLB web site.
Once on the site:
- select “Instant License Check” on the left side of the screen.
- You can search by the following criteria:
- License number
- Business name
- Name of a company principal person
- Anyone who sells home improvement services on behalf the company must be listed as an HIS (Home Improvement Sales person) on the companies contractor’s license.
- HIS number (number assigned to HIS by CSLB).
- The name of the HIS.
What are you looking for
Use our license (# 945998) as a reference.
- Is the license active or has it expired?
- Does the name and address listed match the company you are dealing with (there is no such thing as using someone else’s license)?
- What is the license classification (a painting contractor can not do electrical work and visa versa).
- Is the bond valid (when a bond expires, a contractor has thirty days to obtain a new one, so a newly expired bond is not necessarily a bad sign, they could be shopping for a better rate).
- Do they have workers compensation insurance?
- If not, it means that every who works at your home is either an owner of the business or a sub-contractor to the business.
- Any business that has employees other than the owners is required to carry workers compensation insurance.
I hope you find this information useful.