Solera Home Improvement provides home remodeling services in the greater metro area of San Jose, CA
Home Remodeling – San Jose – Process – Managing the Project
When you are starting the actual work phase of your remodeling project, how much project management should reside with you and how much should reside with your general contractor?
It depends and as such this is something you and your general should agree to up front.
Your contractor has the expertise and craftsmanship to make it happen, but it is your house and your money and you and your family will live the end result, not your contractor.
A few good rules of thumb are:
- Regular written status reports (hand written should suffice) from the general contractor make sense.
- They should state where you are in the project, where you are ahead or behind, and any adjustments needed to get back on schedule.
- Agree in advance how often you will get one, and follow up to ensure you do.
- If the general contractor will be hiring sub-contractors, you have the right to personally interview and check references for all sub-contractors if you wish.
- Your project will require inspections, so write the contract such that payments are made after inspections are passed.
- Be clear that there will be no increase in costs without a written change order being signed.
- Your contractor must not assume you will accept a change order until you have signed it.
- When the work is done, obtain lien releases from the general contractor and ALL subcontractors in exchange for the final payment.
- A mechanics lien can be placed on a property by any contractor who provided services to the property and did not get paid.
- If you pay your general and the general does not pay a sub, the sub can place a mechanics lien on your home.
- A mechanics lien can “cloud” the title of your home and must be cleared before the home can be sold.
- To ensure this does not happen to you, get lien releases from all contractors in all cases.
- A lien release does not mean a lien was ever placed, it means the party in question holds no lien.
- You can readily find example lien release forms via a Google search.