Solera Home Improvement provides home remodeling services in the greater metro area of San Jose, CA
Home Remodeling – San Jose – Process – Plans
There are a few different reasons why your remodeling project needs plans:
- It’s a frame of reference so the people doing the work know exactly what the work is.
- It’s a requirement for obtaining building permits.
- It’s a record of what was done to your home.
There are two types of people who can generate plans:
Architects are better trained and draftsmen are cheaper.
Here is a summary of the differences.
- Responsible to make sure the building does not fall down
- Licensed professional often with advanced degree
- May have specialty area of work
- Does everything a draftsman does
- Creates permit ready technical drawings for contractors and craftsmen
- Proficient at architectural specifications and drawing
- Many started working in the trades and have extensive hands on experience
- Although draftsman have certificates from various schools, they are not licensed by the State of California
Which one you need depends on what you are doing.
If you are remodeling a bathroom or kitchen with no structural changes, you can use can use an architect, but using a draftsman will save money.
If you are building a home from scratch, adding a second story, or removing internal load bearing walls, you need an architect.