Home Repair Tip – Milpitas – Fix a Leaking Faucet
First off, the best places in this area to get replacement parts for faucets are:
- Orchard Supply Hardware plumbing departments
- Conleff Plumbing Supply in Santa Clara
- Barron Park Plumbing Supply in Mountain View
If you have a very old or unusual faucet, stick to Conleff’s or Barron Park as their people have a lot of knowledge about plumbing fixtures.
There are four main types of faucet valve mechanisms.
Scan the referenced article on the line above to find out what kind you have.
All faucets have some form of cartridge.
When a faucet leaks, it is generally because the cartridge needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
If you want to tackle this yourself but don’t know what kind of faucet you have:
- Find a marking on the faucet that tells you the brand (Delta, Price-Pfister, American Standard, etc).
- Take a picture of the faucet to either Conleff’s or Barron Park and ask them.
Then you can get on the web and find instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble.
Turn the water off under the sink before you disassemble the faucet.
When you have the old cartridge out, take it to the store for the replacement.
Then return home and reverse the procedure.
If you are up to tackling this yourself, you now know when to get expertise and parts and have guidance on how to proceed.
If you would rather someone did this for you, please give us a call.
We will take excellent care of you.