Considerations for Planning a Successful Kitchen Remodel
The Solera Group provides expert kitchen remodeling services in the greater San Jose metro area
Browsing for Kitchen Remodeling Ideas
Although Houzz.com is not really a direct competitor of ours (they make money through the sales of stuff, we make money through the doing of remodels) it sort of feels like I’m now referring you to a competitor.
Browsing for kitchen remodeling ideas consists primarily of:
- Visiting show rooms
- Browsing through magazines
- Browsing through websites
As far as browsing through websites for kitchen remodeling ideas, you can’t beat Houzz.com.
They display hundreds if not thousands of ideas with the ability for you to adds images you really like into what they call your Idea Book.
I consider Houzz an ideal place to start (before you come back to us for design and contracting assistance).
Perhaps more important than how you browse is how you narrow down what you’re browsing for.
With an almost unlimited array of options, it is easy to get overwhelmed.
Good design is not a matter of having access to every options, but rather it’s also about eliminating options that don’t make sense for your and your family.
Sometimes a design or a decor option does not make sense because it doesn’t look right or feel right. At other times a design does not make sense because of use or usability issues (can two people easily cook side by side? can your kids help?).
In summary, I’m suggesting you break the initial idea gathering process down into two discreet steps:
1) Focus on your primary design goals both in terms of look, feel, and space usage, then…
2) Browse for ideas (showrooms, magazines, websites) within that primary look and feel, and….
3) Avoid the temptation to deviate from your primary design goals (and you will be tempted) when you think you see something interesting. When do you see something interesting, ask yourself how well it fits into your primary goals. If the answer is it does, check it out. If the answer is it does not, do not feel any hesitation to just let it go.
Need help with your kitchen remodel? Please contact us…..