Remodeling your kitchen will greatly enhance the usability and comfort of your kitchen and home, but the remodeling ideas that make sense for you and your family may be different from ideas that make sense for a different family.
A number of factors should be considered:
- Who lives in the home? Just the two of you? A family of four? A three generation family of six?
- Who will use the kitchen most? When?
- Are there other activities that during meal preparation (do you supervisor your kids doing their homework while you prepare dinner)?
- Do you need one large kitchen/living room (a great room) because you entertain often?
- What are your criteria for materials? Low maintenance? Color? Style? Patterns?
I found an excellent article that does a good job of explaining various kitchen remodeling decisions that need to be thought through.
The number of factors that need to be considered can be overwhelming, and it often makes sense to work with a professional kitchen designer.
Someone who has done hundreds of kitchen designs can help you with yours in a way that takes into consideration that which is most important to you. It will cost you a little more upfront, but will result in a finished kitchen that fits you and your family much better.
Since the kitchen is the center of most homes and most families, and the incremental cost of working with a designer relative to cost of the entire remodel is very low, and you will be enjoying your new kitchen for years to come, the use of a professional designer often makes sense.
Need help with your kitchen remodel?