Solera Home Improvement is a lead safe (lead paint) certified remodeling firm whose services are available to you in and around Los Altos, CA
Lead Paint – Los Altos – Remodeling – Pressure Washing
The EPA rules for lead safe (lead paint) handing during remodeling projects are intended to keep all pressure washing run off out of the storm sewers.
Please understand what is and is not permitted:
NOT permitted – The run off from pressure washing can not enter the storm sewer
PERMITTED – The run off from pressure washing can and should be disposed on the landscaping on the property
The logic behind this is lead in the paint from your home will very very slightly increase the lead content of the soil at your home, whereas if everyone in the Bay Area allows their pressure washing run off to enter the bay, over time the lead content of the bay will increase significantly.
The rules for pressure washing run off requires one of the following to be done:
- Pressure washing water can NOT go into the storm drains.
- Bumpers must be setup to capture the pressure washing run off.
- That run off is then vacuumed with wet/dry shop vacs and is properly disposed of by dumping it in a landscaping area.
- The building can be scaffolded with vertical containment sheets on the outside of the scaffolding.
- The building can be pressure washed within the containment.
- The pressure wash run off can be allowed to fall into the landscaping.