Lead safe remodeling services are available from Solera Home Improvement in and around the city of Milpitas, CA
Lead Paint – Milpitas – Remodeling – EPA Rules – Clean up – Interior
The EPA regulations about lead safe remodeling describe how the clean up phase must be done.
This article describes the clean up requirements for interior work.
As lead is heavy and quickly falls to the ground, the clean up be done from the top down.
It must also be done “on the way out”, which is to say if the remodeling work was at the far end of the room, the cleanup starts at the far end and works its way towards the exit.
- The clean up is a combination vacuuming with a HEPA vacuum and wet cleaning.
- The 6 mil poly must be vacuumed before it is removed.
- The clean up must extend at least two feet further than the edge of the required 6 mil poly.
- If cleaning carpet, the HEPA vacuum must have a beater bar attachment.
- A wet mop is permitted, but Swiffer brand or equivalent web mop type disposable pads are excellent, but need to be changed often, at least every forty square feet.
- The visual inspection must be done by the designated certified remodeler.
- The inspector must look for dust on all horizontal surfaces, which must then be re-cleaned as needed.
- The inspector should use Swiffler style wet disposal pads for the verification.
- Every window sill should be wiped, using one pad per window sill.
- Un-carpeted floor should also be wiped with the cleaning pads.
- Each pad is then compared to the test sample card provided to the certified remodeler during their training class.
- If any of the Swiffler pads are darker than the test card, the cleaning of that area must be redone.