Solera Home Improvement remodeling services are available to you in Mountain View, CA and surrounding cities
Lead Paint – Mountain View – Remodeling – Containment – Exterior
The containment procedures for the EPA Lead Handling practices are a pretty big deal.
Since lead is very heavy and lead dust falls to the ground quickly, the containment requires are less stringent than is needed for asbestos. Lead dust does not stay airborne, but falls to the ground quickly.
There are different requirements for interior vs exterior, this article describes containment procedures for exterior work.
- The 6 mil poly sheeting must extend at least ten feet from the work area.
- It must cover everything, including shrubs and bushes.
- Unfortunately, plants can not breath through 6 mil poly sheeting so this requirement can have a detrimental effect on your landscaping.
- A perimeter must be established twenty feet out from the work area.
- All doors and windows within twenty feet of the work area must be closed and sealed from the outside.
- Any doors needed to enter and exit the work area are to be covered in two layers of poly sheeting, similar to the requirement for interior containment.
- If a power sander is used, it must be used within a containment shroud AND the insides of the windows must be sealed AND the power sander must be connect to a HEPA filter vacuum to capture the dust.
- When scraping, a box must be held under the area being scraped to capture any dust.