Solera Home Improvements provides you with plumbing services in and around Campbell, CA
Plumbing – Campbell – Tankless Hot Water Heaters
This article is part of a series, whose lead article is Plumbing 101.
Tankless hot water heaters are conceptually similar to standard tank type hot water heaters, with the big difference of there is no tank, the water is heated as it is used.
The heater only comes on when hot water is being used, and the water is heated as it flows through the heater.
Tankless hot water heaters definitely use less energy thank tank type heaters do.
That is because the hot water in your tank is constantly cooling and being reheated, even if you and your family are not using the hot water at that time.
However, there are a few drawbacks to tankless hot water heaters that are not often discussed when they are being sold:
- If you have a power outage, you have no hot water.
- Even though most tankless hot water heaters run on gas, the ignition of the gas is electric, so during a power outage, you have no hot water.
- Although they use much less power overall, for the short periods of time they are on, they use enormous amounts of power, but only for a short time.
- Most whole house tankless hot water heaters draw more gas than all your other gas appliances combined (your oven, your furnace, and maybe even your gas fireplace).
- As such, installing one generally requires a dedicated gas line be run from the gas meter to the location of this water heater.
- This adds to the upfront costs, and is often not factored into the budget when making the decision to buy one.
- Expect this to add between $800 and $1,200 to your upfront costs depending on how your gas line needs to be run.
- If you live in an HOA and for whatever reason need to run the gas line on the outside (no crawl space, no attic), you may simply be out of luck – it may not be permitted.
We hope this information is useful to you and if you are having trouble with your hot water, we would very much appreciate an opportunity to be of service – please contact us for your no obligation consultation.