Solera Home Improvements provides you with plumbing services in Mountain View, CA and the area
Plumbing – Mountain View – Clearing a Clogged Drain with a Garden Hose
This article is part of a mini-series, whose lead article is Clearing a Clogged Drain.
The Zip-It tool really only works for bathroom drains, as that is where hair clogs tend to be.
Don’t laugh, it works.
The picture shows the garden hose being used at a kitchen sink drain, but it works equally well, if not better, when you stuff the garden hose into the drain pipe sticking out of the wall under the sink.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This procedure takes two people.
- Run a garden hose from a host faucet outside, to the drain in question.
- Either place the hose in the drain, or stuff it into the drain pipe coming out of the wall.
- Very tightly push a rag around it to make as water tight a seal as you can.
- Check to make sure the two people (one at the drain, the other at the host on/off valve) can easily hear each other.
- Once good clear communications are established (if shouting is impractical, cell phones work well):
- The person at the drain declares they are ready.
- The person at the valve turns the water on.
- The person at the drain holds the rag tight to ensure all the water goes into the drain.
- The pressure of the water clears the clog.
When you have drain issues you need help with and you live in or near Mountain View, we would very much appreciate an opportunity to be of service – contact us now for your no obligation consultation.