Solera Home Improvements provides you with plumbing services in San Jose, CA and surrounding metro area
Plumbing – San Jose – Clearing a Clogged Drain with a Main Line Snake
This article is part of a mini-series, whose lead article is Clearing a Clogged Drain.
Sometimes, the hand held power snake isn’t enough because you need to snake the main drain line going to the sewer.
When this happens, you need to use a main line snake.
You can rent one at most equipment rental yards for about $50.
As with the hand held power snake, you put the end of the snake into a clean out, but this is a little more involved.
- You remove the clean out cover.
- You unwind the power, position the foot switch in a convenient location, and plug it in.
- This snake spins under power, but you insert it and remove it from the clean out by hand, and it takes two hands.
- You remove a section of the snake from the end and insert it into the clean out.
- As you spin the snake by depressing the foot switch, you slowly feed more and more of it into the clean out.
- You may not feel when it hits the clog, so run it to the end (they come in 50 foot lengths and 100 foot lengths).
- Once the snake is fully extended into the clean out, you have to remove it by hand, pulling it out a few feet at a time and pushing it back onto the spool.
When you have drain issues you need help with and you live in or near Santa Clara, we would very much appreciate an opportunity to be of service – contact us now for your no obligation consultation.