Solera Home Improvements provides you with plumbing services in the greater metro area of San Jose, CA
Plumbing – San Jose – Hot Water Heaters
This article is part of a series, whose lead article is Plumbing 101.
Your hot water heater is one of the most critical devices in your home.
Living without hot water is very difficult.
Hot water heaters generally last 8 to 15 years, but with some simple maintenance, you can make yours last longer.
Once a year, drain it:
- This eliminates any sediment that has accumulcated.
- You use a standard garden hose.
- This is important as over time significant sediment will accumulate which will effectively decrease the volume of your tank – in a hard water area – over five years a forty gallon tank can accumulate ten gallons of sediment, thereby turning your tank into a thirty gallon tank.
Every two years, replace the anode:
- Every tank type hot water heater contains a sacrificial anode.
- It has a big nut on the end which is visible from the top of the tank.
- They are intended to corrode to prevent the rest of the tank from corroding.
- If they fully corrode, the rest of the tank will start to corrode.
If you are having trouble with your hot water and you live in the greater San Jose, CA metro area, we would very much appreciate an opportunity to be of service – please contact us for your no obligation consultation.