There is such a thing as an “emergency remodel”, and when you need one, you need one.
In fact, a recent survey from HomeAdvisor (formerly Service Magic indicates that right now, during this economic downturn, spending for room additions and non essential remodeling projects decreased, while demand for necessary high-cost maintenance and repair services saw gains.
When you stop to think about it, this makes sense. Most of us are holding onto our money right now because of uncertainty about what will happen next, but when something breaks that you and your family depend on every day (electricity, water, hot water, heat, etc) you have no choice, you need to get it fixed.
What would an emergency remodel be?
- You have a five person family and two bathrooms, one of which has a tub without a shower (they exist). In the shower a tile pushes in. You discover significant rot behind that wall.
- You are two people living in a home with one bathroom. Due to wood rot, the floor gives way.
What makes these remodels especially challenging is you’re doing them “under the gun”. For most of us this causes us to rush the work to get the home “back in operation” as quickly as possible.
This tends to limit possible choices of layout, materials, colors, etc, as decisions are made quickly.
So how do you allow yourself more time to think things through and make decisions?
Find a temporary alternative arrangement.
- Do you have family nearby who will allow you to shower at their home?
- Can you and your family reasonably survive on baths for a while?
- Do you belong to the YMCA? Can you use their showers?
Arbitrarily make up that you will be without the bathroom for six weeks. If that was absolutely non negotiable, what would you do in the meantime? If you find a reasonable answer you can live with, you’ve bought yourself some time.
And speaking of your remodeling needs, please consider us. We do great work and are easy to work with.