A prior post gives an overview of kitchen countertop materials and their relative advantages and disadvantages. To access the lead post (sort of the table of contents) please select the link in the preceding sentence.
This post specifically discusses the advantages, disadvantages, and costs of engineered stone countertops.
First, what is engineered stone? Engineered stone is a composite material made of pieces of crushed natural stone bound together by a polymer resin.
The Solera Group provides kitchen remodeling services in the greater San Jose metro area.
They are made primarily from Granite or Quartz.
- The are virtually maintenance free and impervious to damage.
- They come in a variety of colors and finishes. Due to the natural stone inside the polymer, no two sections of countertop are exactly the same, which lends to the beauty of engineered stone.
- You can put hot pots and pans on them (quartz more than granite) as long as they are cooler than 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- They are readily available. There are several manufacturers.
- They cost more than natural stone.
The price generally runs about $60 to $100 installed.
Now that you are starting your remodel, we would appreciate an opportunity to be of service. You have access to our services in the greater San Jose metro area. We are experts at kitchen remodeling and will take very good care of you.