A prior post gives an overview of kitchen countertop materials and their relative advantages and disadvantages. To access the lead post (sort of the table of contents) please select the link in the preceding sentence.
This post specifically discusses the use of laminate (Formica, Wilsonart, etc) for countertops, discussing their pros and cons.
The Solera Group provides kitchen remodeling services in the greater San Jose metro area.
Laminate has been with us for decades, yet few of us give this interesting material much thought. Did you know that laminate is only 30% plastic resin and the other 70% is paper?
The laminate layer is very thin and is bonded (glued) to a substrate of fiberboard, particle board, or plywood.
The primary advantage of laminate is their cost. 100 square feet of laminate (enough for a very large kitchen) can be had, installed for around $1,700.
Another big advantage is the colors and patterns available today. It was once true (or at least I believe it to be so) that laminate only came in solid very artificial looking colors. No more. You can now get laminate that mimics the look of natural stone, such as marble or granite.
The biggest disadvantage is durability. You can not put anything hot directly on them, you can not chop directly on them, and if by chance something accidentally impacts the edge hard (I’ve done this) it will dent.
The installed cost is around $17 a square foot.
Now that you are starting your remodel, we would appreciate an opportunity to be of service. You have access to our services in the greater San Jose metro area. We are experts at kitchen remodeling and will take very good care of you.