The Solera Group provides kitchen remodeling services in the greater San Jose metro area.
A prior post gives an overview of kitchen countertop materials and their relative advantages and disadvantages. To access the lead post (sort of the table of contents) please select the link in the preceding sentence.
This post specifically discusses the advantages, disadvantages, and costs of stainless steel countertops.
If you want the absolute most durable countertops that are practically impervious to damage, you want stainless steel. The only disadvantage I know of is if they are hit hard enough, I suppose they might dent, but since they’re not think, it would take a lot to make a dent.
The advantages listed below is why they are used exclusive in commercial kitchens.
- Easy to clean and disinfect.
- You can chop directly on them.
- You can place hot pots and pans directly on them.
- There is nothing you will find in a standard kitchen that you can spill on them that will harm them.
- Fully maintenance free, forever.
- Some people feel that make the kitchen at your home look “industrial”.
- Done well, I disagree. Just look at the picture. Does that look industrial?
I hate to say this, but I’m not really sure. I’ve never met anyone who actually bought any. I only know one contractor in the area who pushes them heavily (Steven Katkowsky) and he has now retired. bAlthough he used to display them in his booths at home shows, and although a lot of people claimed to be interested and impressed, he told me once that no one ever bought them.
If I remember correctly he told me stainless steel countertops for an “average” kitchen would cost around $3,000, not including installation.
Now that you are starting your remodel, we would appreciate an opportunity to be of service. You have access to our services in the greater San Jose metro area. We are experts at kitchen remodeling and will take very good care of you.