This post is one in a series on remodeling small bathrooms and part of a sub-series on how to evaluate and select your contractor. For either of the lead posts, please select one of the links in the prior sentence.
This post discusses the importance of working with a remodeling contractor who explains things in ways that you understand.
The Solera Group provides expert bathroom remodeling services in the greater San Jose metro area.
The importance of this can not be overstated.
As Albert Einstein is quoted as saying…
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
This is very true of remodeling.
It does not matter what questions you may have:
- Why are outlet circuits and electrical circuits separate?
- Except for bathrooms why is a dedicated circuit required?
- Why does the inspector require a $400 roof penetration for the bathroom exhaust fan?
- Does the extra cost of the low-E for the window above the tub really provide any benefit?
- Are those outlets with the Test and Reset buttons really necessary?
- Why are certain makes of shower valves more expensive long term than others?
- Why are certain countertop surfaces lower maintenance than others?
Not only should your contractor be able to explain this type of stuff to you in terms that make sense to you, your contractor should proactively provide explanations even if you haven’t specifically asked.
Remodeling, like life, requires trade offs. You having a good understanding of what, why, and how, enables you to better make those trade off decisions.
Do you need help with your small bathroom remodel? Contact us for help. We’re experts…