This post is part of a series about bathroom remodeling as well as part of a sub-series about showers. To access either of the lead posts please select the link below.
Engineered stone is pieces of natural stone embedded into a resin material. It comes in sheets which form the base (pan) and walls of your shower. There are many varieties and brands. Engineered stone comes in many different colors and styles.
- Nothing (except maybe a custom built pan) is more durable.
- Nothing is more hygienic (the surface is really really flat with no imperfections where bacteria can live and thrive.
- Nothing is lower maintenance (NEVER needs resealing, ever).
- Nothing is easier to clean.
- It comes in a very wide variety of color and patterns.
Having said that, there are a few disadvantages:
- Compared to other solutions, even natural stone, it’s fairly expensive.
- Even though it looks like stone, it feels like hardened and polished epoxy resin, which is what it is.
Engineered stone is for you if low maintenance, hygiene, and ease of cleaning are what’s most important to you.
If you’re looking for what is sometimes called “old world charm” and a material that simply feels great against your skin, natural stone makes sense provided you understand and accept the requirement to reseal the surface every 12 to 18 months.
For help with your bathroom remodel, please contact us…..