This post is one in a series on remodeling small bathrooms. As well as one within the sub-series on your options for bathroom remodeling materials. As well as one devoted to the differences and qualities of paint. To access any of the lead posts, please select one of the links in the prior sentences.
Latex paint has a base solvent that is water. Oil paint has a base solvent that is mineral spirits. The difference between oil paint and latex paint is huge.
The Solera Group provides expert bathroom remodeling services in the greater San Jose metro area.
Primary advantages of oil based paint
- Goes on smoother (because it takes longer to dry)
- Allows you to paint slower (same reason)
- Is more durable
- Each coat covers better
- Cleans up more easily
- Is more moisture resistant
Disadvantages of oil based paint
- Cleans with mineral spirits, not water
- Can not EVER be disposed by pouring down a drain, not even a little bit
- Is more prone to cracking
- In most areas must be treated as a hazardous waste and disposed of at hazardous waste disposal facilities
- The fumes are strong
Primary Advantages of Latex Paint
- Cleans up easily with water
- Dries faster
- If you mess up and get some where you shouldn’t, you can wipe it clean
- Is much more available at paint stores
- More environmentally friendly
Disadvantages of Latex Paint
There is really only one and that is because it’s water based it soaks into wood. If you’re painting wood with latex paint, you may need to sand down after each coat as the wood will swell some.
For your Bathroom
Because it’s more durable and moisture resistant, oil gives you the better paint finish, but getting the job done requires more painting time, more drying time, and more care during cleanup.
For help with your bathroom remodel, please contact us…..